FUSILEV is FDA-approved for use in combination chemotherapy with
5-FU in the palliative treatment of patients with advanced metastatic colorectal cancer1.
In combination with 5-FU for mCRC treatment, FUSILEV and leucovorin have comparable safety profiles1
Click image to enlarge
Indications and Usage
FUSILEV is a folate analog indicated for:
- Rescue after high-dose methotrexate therapy in osteosarcoma.
- Diminishing the toxicity and counteracting the effects of impaired methotrexate elimination and of inadvertent overdosage of folic acid antagonists.
- Use in combination chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil in the palliative treatment of patients with advanced metastatic colorectal cancer.
Limitations of Use
- FUSILEV is not approved for pernicious anemia and megaloblastic anemias. Improper use may cause a hematologic remission while neurologic manifestations continue to progress.
Important Safety Information
- FUSILEV is contraindicated for patients who have had previous allergic reactions attributed to folic acid or folinic acid.
Warnings and Precautions
- Due to Ca++ content, no more than 16 mL (160 mg) of levoleucovorin solution should be injected intravenously per minute.
- FUSILEV enhances the toxicity of fluorouracil.
- Concomitant use of d,l-leucovorin with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in HIV patients was associated with increased rates of treatment failure in a placebo-controlled study.
- Allergic reactions were reported in patients receiving FUSILEV.
- The most common adverse reactions (>50%) in patients with advanced colorectal cancer receiving FUSILEV in combination with 5-FU were diarrhea, nausea and stomatitis.
- Vomiting (38%), stomatitis (38%) and nausea (19%) were reported in patients receiving FUSILEV as rescue after high-dose methotrexate therapy.
- FUSILEV may counteract the antiepileptic effect of phenobarbital, phenytoin and primidone, and increase the frequency of seizures in susceptible patients.
Please click here to see full Prescribing Information for FUSILEV.
1. FUSILEV [package insert]. Irvine, CA: Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.